How to build kitchen wall decor
The kitchen wall is an area of the apartment with its own specific characteristics. It is constantly subject to temperature fluctuations, changing levels of humidity and concentrations of all kinds of dirt.
The specifics of the room require a responsible approach to the choice of finishing materials. Which of them are best suited for use in the kitchen – we will understand in this article.
Criteria for choosing a material for finishing
In order not to scrape off the remains of worn material from the walls of the kitchen after a short period of use, you should familiarize yourself with the criteria that determine its competent choice:
- Resistance to sudden changes in temperature.
- Moisture resistance. Exposure to water should not spoil the appearance and shorten the service life.
- Resistance to mechanical damage and exposure to aggressive environments. When this criterion is not taken into account, the material becomes worthless after several cleanings with caustic cleaning agents.
- Antibacterial properties. If fungus settles on the surface of the material, it will look very unaesthetic, and, in addition, pose a threat to human health.
Below we will talk about the advantages and disadvantages of the materials most commonly used for kitchen walls.
A method of finishing walls, very much loved by designers because of the ease of application and the ability to create a variety of unique textures.
Decorative plaster spreads evenly on the wall, quickly and without gaps.
This material withstands high temperatures, no fungus colonies form on it, it owes it to the mineral impurities in its composition.
Decorative plaster is durable and can be cleaned both dry and wet.
The main disadvantage of this finishing material is the high cost.
The use of ceramic tiles in the kitchen is comparable in scale only to its use in the bathroom area.
Tile is in such demand because of its long service life and variety of designs, of which patterned aprons are most often formed.
The advantage of ceramic tile, which is rarely written about – fire safety: open fire will never react with this material.
Tiles come in both very expensive and very budget-friendly, so you can find an option for any purse.
Care for it, too, does not give any special difficulties.
Buying an ordinary paper wallpaper in the kitchen will not recommend any person versed in finishing works. They will immediately fall into disrepair and lose their appearance.
The ideal option in the case of the kitchen – vinyl or vinyl-vinyl wallpaper.
There are a lot of advantages of these materials:
- They are not afraid of bright light, direct sunlight, do not burn out.
- Resistant to moisture and amenable to wet cleaning.
- They can be painted over and over again, which contributes to a simple and uncomplicated renovation of the interior.
- A huge number of designs, drawings, prints, etc.
Now about the disadvantages of such wallpaper:
- On fleece wallpaper are clearly visible scratches.
- Vinyl wallpaper requires a lot of glue, and the very process of pasting them is very laborious and time-consuming.
- If there is relief, both types of wallpaper will cling to all the kitchen dirt.
This material is made from plaster or stone.
The most organic brickwork will look in a loft kitchen. It is important to remember: if the room is small, you should not decorate its entire perimeter with bricks, it is enough to accentuate one wall.
Modern production technology protects decorative bricks from various kinds of damage thanks to a special layer that prevents the material from falling apart.
You can decorate the walls without inviting specialists, just watch video tutorials on the Internet.
The disadvantages of brickwork are not very many, but they are there.
The material made of natural stone will cost a pretty penny.
And you will also need to regularly clean the wall, because dirt will linger on the embossed surface.